Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Living with Natural Hair

On January 5, 2011, I did my big chop and since that day, I've been on one intriguing journey. Before I dive into my story, I use to say it wasn't by choice! I became natural due to hair damage. In the beginning, this was the only reason. However, things have changed since then....

It was definitely a new look for me. All of my life I have had shoulder to mid-way length hair until recent years. In recent years, my hair was cut short to neck length due to breakage. However, this time a bob length wouldn't work because my hair was breaking starting from the roots in one section of my hair. At one point I thought it was just stressed, but later learned it was simply over processed. Yet, to some degree, I think it could have been caused by both.

So anywho, the end result was to lay off of relaxers, so I can allow my hair to get healthy and grow. I actually started this journey back in September after receiving my last relaxer in July 2010.
Since then I have had sew-ins before the big chop.

So on January 5, 2011, I cut off all of my permed/relaxed hair and afterwards didn't know what to do with it! I asked my sister for advice, but she didn't even know what to do and she's a beautician!!! The irony in that, right? So I had to take the matters in my own hand. I simply started to do my research on natural hair. I went from Google to YouTube to talking with friends who are natural. After awhile I found myself being a natural junky! lol Especially when it comes to various styles and what products to use for my natural hair. Thank God for YouTube, really! I wouldn't know what to do! So to all my natural sistah's who are helping the baby naturals...much love!! The next blog I do, I'll definitely be sending out my gratitude to those individuals on YouTube who has been such a great help to me !

Today will mark my 20th day of being natural and I'm sooo enjoying this journey more than I thought!  I didn't think I would enjoy it so much. What tickles me the most is that I always wanted curly hair and I thought I needed a process or chemical to put in my hair to make it curly. Yet, in actuality all I needed to do is let my hair take its course! Look at God! =)

If you're a natural woman and can relate to my story or even feel indifferent about it or is still relaxed...feel free to leave a comment. All comments are welcomed!

Be Blessed =)

4 comments:

  1. Nice sis.. not sure if I ever started the "journey" yet. Just don't want relaxers anymore. In the meantime, I like (always have) other people doing my hair that are good. I'll let you and others do the research for me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Tar. My last perm was in Feb 2010 and since then I have been doing my research. Not as bold as you or come to the point where I am comfortable with the big chop may never but I am embracing the transition my hair is taking. I wear a lot of protective styles to allow my hair to grow and not do a lot with it during this process. Im sure I will be sharing with you the things I learn and I hope you do the same. This is something I wanted to do for years but never did until most recently. I am proud of you for making that bold step. The journey begins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know.. you two can inform Mila so she can know what to do to my hair. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out my blog.. http://livinglifeonpupose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete